IF A STUDENT NEEDS TO CHECK OUT OF SCHOOL EARLY, STUDENTS SHOULD:
·Bring a note from parent/guardian to the Attendance Office prior to 8:10 am.
- Valid reasons include: college visits, religious holidays, planned hospitalization, medical appointments, and required family trips (maximum of three days per year).
- Family trips lasting more than three days must be approved by the student’s administrator at least five days prior to the absences. These absences may result in unexcused absences. Remember, administrators will be working with students of all grade levels, based on last name this year. Administrators by last name and their locations are as follows:
Ms. Campiglia (A-De)
Mr. Gillespie (Di-Ko)
Mr. Hannon (Kr-Q)
Ms. Hudson (Ra-Z)
Ms. Sneed (ELL 1&2)
Late Arrival to School
A note is needed to verify/excuse a student’s late arrival. If your child is late to school due to an appointment, a doctor’s or dentist’s note is required.
- Due to the heavy volume of phone calls that we receive, we are unable to accept phone messages for late arrivals. When students are late to school, they need to bring a note to school with a valid parent signature, phone number, and reason for the late arrival.
- Notes verifying or excusing late arrivals must be submitted within two days of the late arrival.
- An unexcused tardy of 20 minutes or more is considered an unexcused absence.
- Students who need to leave school early must bring a note with a valid parent signature.
- Students must bring note to the Attendance Office before school starts to receive a pink dismissal pass.
- Student must sign out from the Attendance Office at the appropriate time.
- Failure to sign out will result in an unexcused absence.
- Due to the heavy volume of phone calls that we receive, we are unable to accept phone messages for early check out.
- Absences must be verified/excused by the parent/guardian.
- A note with a valid parent signature must be brought in to the Attendance Office within two days for the absence to be excused.
- You may also call 703-810-2282 within two days to excuse an absence.
- Parents/guardians will be notified when students are tardy to class without a pass.
- Please speak to your student about the importance of punctuality.
- If you have any questions about tardiness, please contact your student's teacher.
- Truancy is a violation of state law. Per FCPS Regulation 2234, the school is required to submit an attendance referral to the Fairfax County Truancy officer whenever a student accrues five unexcused absences.
- Per FCPS Regulation 2234, excessive absences are defined as five (5) consecutive or twelve (12) cumulative absences (excused and/or unexcused). Students with excessive absences will be required to submit medical documentation for absences if they are out. Any future absences without proper documentation will become unexcused.