Herndon High School is hosting the SAT School Day for seniors on Wednesday, September 23, 2020. Before the SAT School Day, registered students will receive a message through their FCPS Google school email account (@fcpsschools.net). This message will contain important information about the SAT School Day. Only registered students are allowed to enter the building. No walk-in or on-site registrations will be permitted. Registration is closed as of Friday, September 11, 2020. For any further questions, please contact our Assessment Coach, Alisa Shreve (@email).
The SAT School Day is normally 4 hours, 15 minutes long; however, students with College Board-approved extended time will test longer. Students testing with standard time should be done around 1:00-1:30pm. Students testing with 50% extended time should be done at approximately 3:00pm.
General information about the SAT test format is available on the College Board webpage. September 23 has been designated for asynchronous learning, so students who choose to take the SAT will not miss synchronous learning time with their teachers.
An online student guide is available. Students are encouraged to read the guide to become familiar with the SAT before the test date.
Students must bring the following materials with them on the day of the exam, which are required to take the assessment.
- picture ID
- Emergency contact information
- Mask –
- Masks are required to be worn at all times.
- Students must provide their own mask, and it will be inspected prior to testing.
- Per FCPS regulation, any individual seeking exemption from the mask due to a medical condition, shall produce to school officials the written statement of his or her physician confirming that not wearing a mask is medically necessary.
- No. 2 pencils and erasers
- No mechanical pencils
- No pens
- Hand sanitizers and/or wipes
- May be taken into the exam room but must remain underneath the desk while the exam is underway
- Approved calculator and extra batteries
- Calculators will not be provided by the school. Students cannot share their calculator with other test takers. Students are encouraged to bring extra batteries with them as batteries will not be provided on the SAT School Day.
- May be taken into the exam room but must remain underneath the desk while the exam is underway and may be accessed only during breaks, unless a specific accommodation allows otherwise. We request that snacks are peanut-free.
Students are prohibited to use the following materials in the testing room and during breaks:
- Use of electronic devices is prohibited from the time the student is admitted to the testing room until they are dismissed at the end of the test, including break times. Specifically:
- Students may not handle or access a cell phone or electronic device at any time in the testing room or during break times. This includes smart watches, fitness bands, and any other devices with recording, internet, or communication capabilities.
- All devices, including cell phones and wearable devices, must be turned off and placed out of sight.
Students will be asked to enter a specific door on the SAT School Day. The doors will open at 7:45am and close at 8:15am. Please be on time. This information will be emailed to students through their FCPS Google school email account (@fcpsschools.net). During the check-in procedure, students are asked to show their picture ID and to verbally complete the Health Screen Questionnaire. Students will not be permitted into the school if any of the responses are ‘YES’.
Parents/guardians are not be permitted in the building and should remain in their cars. Only students who are actually taking an exam may wait in the check-in line. Multiple staff members are assigned a door entrance to assist with monitoring of social distancing.
We also ask that testers and families dropping students off do not socialize in the parking lot or in the building. Social distancing needs to be practiced at all times on the school property as well as mask wearing.
Grab-n-go breakfast and lunch will be provided for free for students. Students, who plan to eat breakfast in the morning, are encouraged to come to the school early so they will have time to finish their breakfast before the test begins.
If you indicated that you will need FCPS transportation, you will be hearing soon from the FCPS Transportation Services.