Summer Jump Start
Herndon High School and Herndon Middle School present:
Summer Jump Start, August 2018
Academic Jump Start Program for Rising Freshmen
Dates: Monday, August 13 – Thursday, August 16 (8:00am-12:00pm)
Our goal is to provide rising 9th grade students with the opportunity to increase their skills in mathematics and language arts in order to get a “jump start” on success for the coming school year.
- We follow the Kids at Hope cultural framework at Herndon High School to support student success. We believe that:
All Hornets are capable of success, NO EXCEPTIONS!
- Students will be able to read their summer reading book and/or complete the mandatory summer reading written assignment that is included in their 1st Quarter English grade for the 2018-2019 school year.
- Students will become familiar with the high school floor plan through maps of the high school since renovation prohibits local tours before Freshmen Orientation. They will also participate in focus groups to learn about high school procedures, while developing new friendships.
Instructional groups will be small in size and all students will receive individual instruction in algebra and language arts skills.
Additional Program Information
- Herndon Jump Start is FREE to all accepted into the program. Spaces are limited, so be sure to get your application and emergency care card in as soon as possible.
- Transportation No transportation is provided. Students should be at Entrance #1 in the front of Armstrong Elementary School just before 8 am on August 13th.
- Mrs. Amanda Hudson at Herndon High School will serve as our Administrator for 2018. email@example.com
- Phyllis Pearce, M.Ed., NBCT, at Herndon High School will serve as our Summer Jump Start Director. if you have further questions you can reach her by phone 703-338-8079 or you can email her at firstname.lastname@example.org
Things to Bring
- It is recommended that Jump Starters bring additional snacks or lunch items from home for the daily break.
- Some snacks and juice will be provided during the daily break.
- Students are asked to bring a summer reading book if they already have one.
- If you need suggestions for a book, or if you have additional questions, you may call Phyllis Pearce at 703-338-8079 for further information.