Senior Class of 2023
Welcome to Herndon High School, the home of the 'Fighting Hornets'. Our overarching goal as a school is to form positive and lasting relationships with all of you, as well as to help you achieve your academic and not academic goals. We strive to prepare you for life post-high school and know how important it is for all of us to foster your skills of creative and critical thinking, resiliency and global citizenship. Relationship building is a two way street, and we sincerely encourage you to get to know your teachers, school counselors, administrators, and all school support staff; we are all here to help you thrive and have a wonderful high school experience.
With the final few weeks of the school year upon us and Graduation 2023 a short time away, our seniors, faculty members, and staff are all looking forward to a memorable graduation ceremony on Wednesday, June 7th, 2023 at 7:30 p.m. at the George Mason University Eagle Bank Arena. This letter will help to guide you through the last few weeks of your student’s high school experience. Additionally, here is a link to a calendar with important dates.
We will have two graduation rehearsals this year, on Friday, June 2nd and Monday, June 5th. ALL graduating seniors MUST ATTEND both rehearsals, which will take place at HHS.
On Friday, June 2nd, graduates should report to Auditorium at 1:30 p.m. for the first rehearsal. Graduation caps and gowns will be distributed, and final financial obligations met. The senior LEGACY Walk will also occur on this day. The Senior Slide Show will also take place, followed by the Senior Picnic.
On Monday, June 5th, graduates will line up in the hallways with their TA classes at 1:30 p.m. for our final rehearsal with faculty and staff.
Other Senior Activities (optional but encouraged)
On Friday, June 2nd, with a completed permission slip, due May 31 and passed out in government classes, graduates will go to Herndon’s feeder schools on the Legacy Walk to inspire our youngest hornets towards their own graduations! Graduates will wear their caps and gowns to this event and buses will be provided. This is a great opportunity, as well, for our seniors to thank a special teacher, counselor, or principal that supported them on their journey towards graduation and adulthood.
The attached calendar of events will keep you updated on senior activities, exams, and our graduation rehearsal schedule.
ALL Graduates are encouraged to attend the All Night Grad Party. This is truly a one of a kind event and should not be missed! More information on this event is attached.
Fairfax Connector Bus Pass
Any senior who received a Fairfax Connector Bus Pass must turn in their pass prior to graduation. Please return your pass to Mrs. Gibson in the Main Office.
Senior Debts and Fees
All student fees/dues/debts must be paid in full before graduation gowns will be issued. Remember that students will not be permitted to walk at graduation without a graduation cap and gown.
All students are asked to follow these guidelines to inquire about any financial obligation:
- To inquire about library fines, see Ms. Wolfe/Ms. Dare in the library.
- To inquire about other debts (such as lost textbooks and senior dues, see Ms. Torres, 12th Grade AA, in the Main Office.
- To pay any financial obligation, please follow these procedures:
- Go to MySchoolBucks.com to pay online
- See Ms. Bradley in the Finance Office to pay by credit/debit in person
- See Ms. Torres in the Main Office to pay by cash/check in person
Thank you for clearing your financial obligations prior to our first graduation rehearsal (6/2/23).
This is the day we’ve all been waiting for: June7th (7:30 p.m.)!
The graduation processional will begin promptly at 7:30 pm. Due to traffic and various activities around the Eagle Bank Arena, it is important that you plan accordingly and arrive early. Graduates should plan on arriving by 6:30 p.m. and will enter at the loading dock on the lower east side of the arena. The Eagle Bank Arena will be open to guests at 6:30 pm. There are no tickets, and seating is designated “first come, first served.” Please allow enough travel time to arrive safely at the Eagle Bank Arena for the 2023 Herndon High School graduation ceremony. Our ceremony will end at approximately 9:30 p.m., and parents and graduates should decide on a meeting place after the ceremony, as students will not have their cell phones with them.
Special Services Provided – If you have any guests who are hearing impaired, we will seat them in a priority section. Please contact Ms. Itzel Torres at @email by May 26th if you have any guests who need to be seated in this section.
Expectations during the Graduation Ceremony
A high school graduation ceremony is one of the most memorable events for every family. It is an occasion marked by pride, dignity, joy, and celebration. It is also a time for us to reflect on the past and look forward to the future. The Herndon High School Graduation for the Class of 2023 will be all of these.
- Student and Guest Behavior: Please keep in mind that graduation is a formal occasion. For this reason, noise makers and other inappropriate items (e.g., signs, balls, and balloons) are not permitted in the Eagle Bank Arena. Such items will be confiscated and will not be returned. Inappropriate behavior by students during the ceremony will result in the student being removed from the Eagle Bank Arena floor and the graduation proceedings.
- Student Attire: Seniors should arrive dressed appropriately, with their cap and gown carried over their arm. Do not arrive dressed in your cap and gown. All students are asked to “dress in their best” with dress shoes (no flip-flops, boots, or tennis shoes).
- Cap and Gown: Alterations to the cap and gown are not permitted. No corsages or boutonnières are permitted. Graduates may need bobby pins to secure their caps, and these can be purchased from local stores such as CVS or Target.
- Items that Graduates Can Bring: The only item that graduates may have in their possession when entering the Eagle Bank Arena is their car key. Graduates will be checked to ensure that no inappropriate items are carried into the Eagle Bank Arena for the ceremony. Note: Students are not permitted to bring cell phones or cameras to the ceremony. Your cooperation in making this a meaningful occasion for you, your families, guests, Herndon HS, and the community is expected and appreciated.
- Photography and Videography: Parents and guests are asked not to leave their seats to take photos/videos during the ceremony. Standing in aisles and portals is prohibited. Use of electrical cords or tripods is also prohibited. A professional photographer has been retained to take pictures of each senior as the diploma is awarded. (Graduates, make sure you pause and pose for this picture after you walk down the stairs and prior to returning to your seats). Seniors will be contacted directly by the photographer to place orders. Please do not contact the school to order photographs. A videographer has also been contracted to record the event. Order forms for the DVD/Video will be available during graduation rehearsals and at the event. Large screens will show the graduates during the ceremony.
The student body and staff of Herndon High School have been preparing for the Graduation of the Class of 2023 for many months, and we are excited that the ceremony is right around the corner. If you have any questions, feel free to call me at the number listed below. I look forward to seeing all of you on June 7th for a memorable and enjoyable graduation ceremony.
Senior Class Contacts
Class Sponsors: Barb Taylor, Ruth Rocci and Allan Dacanay
Activities Administrator: Dr. Phil Cronin, Assistant Principal
Grading & Reporting and Discipline Administrators:
- Melissa Tochterman - A - Che
- Dr. Phil Cronin - Chi - Ha
- Jamila Alarcon - Hb - Mek
- Dana Van Slyke - Mel - Roc
- Christina Oh - Rod - Z