College Transcripts

The college application process is not complete without the official high school transcript and it should be received by the college by the application deadline.  All high school records will be sent electronically when possible.

What we require from you by the transcript request deadline:

  • A Consent to Release Records Form signed by student and parent/guardian.
  • Transcript Release Form Transcript requests must be received at least 2 weeks prior to the college application deadline.  4 weeks are required when you are asking for a counselor Letter of Recommendation.  Students can add colleges at any time.
  • Fees Three transcripts are sent for free. There is a $5.00 charge for each additional transcript. HHS will accept cash, check (made to HHS) or payment through MySchoolBucks. Transcripts are not sent until payment is received.

What we include with each transcript packet:

  • The official transcript through the end of junior year with the senior classes printed on the transcript.
  • The counselor recommendation (if requested).  Recommendation packets must be turned in to your counselors by their deadline.  Usually 4 weeks before the first college deadline, no later than Nov. 1
  • The Secondary School Report. HHS uses a generic one accepted by schools. Do not bring in one provided by colleges.
  • The school profile which describes Herndon High School and our school system (FCPS)

School documents are finalized after the second week of school.  To ensure nothing is omitted from your application, requests that come in over the summer will be held until all supporting documents are ready.

What we do NOT include with the transcript packet:

  • SAT, ACT, TOEFL scores
  • Teacher recommendations
  • Any student applications related documents

Other things to know:

Students, make sure you know your counselor's policy regarding transcript requests. Students are responsible for notifying the counselor when they wish each transcript packet to be sent. Communication is imperative! Each counselor is assisting 50 or more seniors in this process and each may have their own deadline. The student must inform the counselor in person that he/she is ready for the packet to be sent. 

Self Report Schools  Many schools are going to a system whereby students self report their grades.  These schools do need to be added to the goldenrod, and fees paid. Many schools require the SSR, a school profile, your counselors recommendation, or other documents. Not to mention, you may want them to receive a final transcript. 

Scholarship transcripts are free and can be requested by using the form specifically for scholarships. 2 weeks is required to process scholarship transcripts.  Official ones will be provided which the student can include when mailing a packet to a scholarship committee. Students will also be given an unofficial transcript they may use to upload/copy as needed.  If the counselor did not already write a recommendation and a recommendation is required for the scholarship, 4 week notification is required.

7th semester transcripts are required by colleges so that they can evaluate a student's grades midway through Senior year. The report shows only the semester grade with a recalculated cumulative GPA (weighted), not quarter grades. The 7th semester transcript is automatically sent to each college to which initial materials have been sent. The student does not need to prompt the counselor to send this report and the student does not need to submit any report forms that the college may have provided (we do not send them). If a student wishes to have a copy of the 7th transcript, he/she may drop by the counselor's office about two weeks after the end of 2nd quarter to request one. Keep in mind that these transcript will not be resent for late grade changes that reflect a change in GPA.

Final Transcripts are sent to the college the student has decided to attend and to any colleges where a decision may be pending (i.e., a student is active on a wait list). This information is obtained when Seniors complete the Senior Survey in early May.

Please stop by the Student Services Office to pick up the Transcript Request Form for Scholarships and the Transcript Request Form for College Applications.