Parking Information Overview
Application for Use of Private Vehicle
Parking Regulation Enforcement Policy
The 2022-2023 Parking Lottery will open Aug. 1, 2022. Visit this page for full details.
To receive a permit, you must have:
- The Receipt of Paid Debt provided by the Main Office after paying any applicable debts.
- All four permit forms filled out and signed by BOTH student and parents
- Valid Driver's license
- Official letter from Fairfax County proving eligibility of free or reduced lunch
Paying for a Pass:
This year, students will be required to register online using the Google form for parking. Starting August 1st, 2022, students will be required to pay ($200) for their parking by using MSB (My School Bucks). A hard copy of the parking application will be available on MSB as well. Once you have made your payment you will need to print out the application and complete all the necessary information and turn it in when you are scheduled to pick up your parking pass along with a copy of your driver’s license.
Students who qualify for free ($25) or reduced ($100) lunch must bring a check or money order for the amount they qualify for made out to Herndon HS. You must attach documentation to your application that states you qualified for either FREE or REDUCED lunch. Payment for free and reduce price can not be made on My School Bucks.
- If you qualify for free or reduced lunch, please clearly note this on your parking application, it will be verified, and your parking fee adjusted. Checks should be made out to Herndon High School.
All student debts must be paid in full prior to purchasing a parking permit. Permits will not be issued until all book fines, parking fines, etc., have been paid. Debts can be paid in the Main Office.
Once the appropriate fee is paid, it is nonrefundable and nontransferable. Students will be encouraged to carpool and may jointly purchase a permit that can be attached to the rearview mirror and transferred to each authorized driver's automobile.
Students Eligible for Bus Transportation
All students eligible for bus transportation are encouraged to use public school buses. Students may complete an application for a parking permit which authorizes them to drive to school and park in the school parking lot for a yearly fee of $200.00. This parking fee is implemented as a result of a school board directive. Students that violate school parking policies may be warned, fined, booted, towed, or face a loss of their parking privileges.
Parking fines are $25.00. Towed vehicles are subject to the cost of the authorized towing company. Students must also be aware that tardiness to classes will result in a loss of parking privileges. The parking permit must be displayed on the vehicle (hanging from rearview mirror), while the vehicle is on school grounds.
Parking on school grounds is a PRIVILEGE. Students who violate school parking policies may be warned, fined, towed or face loss of their parking privileges. Students leaving school grounds without properly checking out from the attendance office or the clinic will lose parking privileges for 30 days and a fine will be incurred for the first offense and will have their parking privilege revoked for the second offense without refund of fee.
Student Parking Regulations
Student parking apply to the Herndon High School parking lot. It is both the student's and the parent/guardian's responsibility to know and understand the information contained in the student parking agreement packet.
Outlined below are our student parking guidelines:
- Obtain the security parking agreement packet from the Security Office. Carefully read and complete all of the necessary parking forms. There are informational sheets along with three separate forms (1-3) which must be completed and returned to Herndon High School. Return only the portion of the forms that say "Security Office Copy, Return to Security". You may make a copy of the forms for your own personal records. These forms are also available in the buttons on the top of this page.
- Any funds collected as payment for parking will be deposited immediately. If you qualify for free or reduced lunch please clearly note this on your parking application, it will be verified and your parking fee adjusted. (Deadline to receive free and reduced reduction for parking from HHS is October 30th).
- Late, incomplete or inaccurate applications will not be considered. Applications containing false information will result in the loss of parking privileges with a forfeiture of any fees paid. Parking permits are nontransferable and are assigned to the student listed on the parking application (one name only). If a student transfers his/her school parking permit to another student both students will lose parking privileges with no refund of any parking fees.
- It is suggested that completed parking applications be hand delivered to the Herndon HS security office located in room 136 across from the library.
- The number of student parking spaces is limited. The number of students applying for parking changes from year to year. There is no specific senior, or junior parking areas. No student is guaranteed a school assigned parking space or a parking spot in a particular area.
- Students can apply for parking, but must possess a valid Virginia driver's license at the time parking permits are issued in late August. In order to pick up their parking pass, students will be required to show a valid Virginia driver's license (paper temporary license is acceptable). If you choose to carpool with other students it is at your own risk. If a student in that carpool violates the HHS parking policy the parking pass will be suspended or revoked for the entire carpool.
- Please make sure you bring a check or money order for $200 and have it made out to Herndon HS. No cash will be accepted this year. Students who have not picked up their parking permit prior to the 1st day of school will not be allowed to drive to school until they receive their permit.
Parking Passes Extended to Students in Good Standing
Parking on school grounds is a privilege extended to students in good standing. Students with behavioral, class, school attendance, or grade problems may be denied parking or have their parking privileges rescinded at any time. This includes students who are habitually late for class.
- Students that are absent or tardy to class may have their attendance record reviewed by an administrator/staff member at any time. Students found to be in violation of the HHS attendance policy could have their parking permit suspended for a period of time or revoked for the remainder of the school year. The administration reserves the right to revoke/suspend parking without warning in cases that need immediate attention. When student attendance records are reviewed, both excused and unexcused tardies/absences are reviewed. Students with attendance issues in previous school years will not be given a parking assignment.
- The administrative staff reserves the right to revoke the parking privileges of any student at any time for any reason. Parking is offered first to rising seniors. Parking privileges will then be offered to rising juniors on a lottery basis if parking space is available. If the number of rising senior applications exceeds the number of available student parking spaces, rising seniors will also receive their spaces on a random lottery basis.
- All parking fines and any other school related fees/dues must be paid in full before parking applications can be accepted. All financial obligations to the school must be satisfied prior to a parking permit being issued. This includes but is not limited to all past due parking fines (parking fines are due within 30 days of the violation) from previous years.
Do not drive to school until you have your parking permit in hand. If there are any questions please contact the security office during normal school hours at 703-810-2399 (Jack Brown). The school security office is closed during the summer months and will open on when school begins.
FCPS does not provide accident insurance for students. Parents and guardians may purchase reasonably priced student accident insurance through K and K Insurance Group. Student accident insurance brochures are no longer available for distribution to schools. Student accident insurance information, brochures and claim forms are available on the Risk Management website and the K and K Insurance website. Links are provided to the web pages below.