The college application process is not complete without the official high school transcript and it should be received by the college by the application deadline. All high school records will be sent electronically when possible.
What we require from you by the transcript request deadline:
- The completed and signed Transcript Release Form (students can add and delete colleges at any time, within the timelines provided below, by notifying their school counselor in person). Transcript requests must be received at least 4 weeks prior to the college application deadline.
- A Secondary School Report form or supplemental form downloaded from the college website, if requested by the college. Make sure that the student information is complete. Please note that a generic Secondary School Report form will be sent with most applications.
- A 9 x12 envelope for each hard copy transcript to be mailed, accurately addressed (in neat print or a typed label) to the college admissions office, stamped with 3 first class stamps, return address: Herndon High School, 700 Bennett Street, Herndon VA 20170. In the bottom left corner of the front of the envelope, the student should print: "RE: STUDENT FULL LEGAL NAME". Envelopes are needed for all Common Application schools, and schools that do not accept eDocs.
- Three transcripts are sent for free. There is a $5.00 charge for each additional transcript (paid by cash or check to HHS).
What we include with each transcript packet:
- The official transcript through the end of junior year with the senior classes printed on the transcript.
- the counselor recommendation (if requested)
- The Secondary School Report
- The school profile which describes Herndon High School and our school system (FCPS)
What we do NOT include with the transcript packet:
- SAT, ACT, TOEFL scores
- Teacher recommendations
- Any student applications related documents
Students are responsible for notifying the counselor when they wish for each transcript packet to be sent. Make sure your counselor knows when you want your packet to be sent to each college. Communication is imperative! Each counselor is assisting 50 or more seniors in this process. The student must inform the counselor in person that he/she is ready for the packet to be sent. Students, make sure you know your counselor's policy regarding notification.
Scholarship transcripts are requested by the student directly from the counselor and no fee is charged for sending them. The student must provide a prepared business envelope (addressed and stamped with 2 1st class postage stamps) along with any associated forms at least 10 school days prior to the scholarship deadline. If the counselor did not already write a recommendation and a recommendation is required for the scholarship, 4 week notification is required. Students must use this form for requesting transcripts specifically for scholarships.
Mid-year report / 7th semester transcripts are required by colleges so that they can evaluate a student's grades midway through Senior year. The report shows only the semester grade with a recalculated cumulative GPA (weighted), not quarter grades. The 7th semester grade reports are automatically sent to each college to which a transcript has been sent. The student does not need to prompt the counselor to send this report and the student does not need to submit any report forms that the college may have provided (we do not send them). If a student wishes to have a copy of the 7th semester report, he/she may drop by the counselor's office about two weeks after the end of 2nd quarter to request one.
Final Transcripts are sent to the college the student has decided to attend and to any colleges where a decision may be pending (i.e., a student is active on a waitlist). This information is obtained when Seniors complete the Senior Survey in early May in a group meeting with counselors.