The college application process is not complete without the official high school transcript and it should be received by the college by the application deadline. All high school records will be sent electronically when possible.
What we require from you before transcripts can be sent:
- A Consent to Release Records Form signed by student and parent/guardian. This only needs to be done once.
- Transcript Request Form should be turned in AFTER the college application has been submitted.
- Fees Three transcripts are sent for free. There is a $5.00 charge for each additional transcript. Payment should be made through MySchoolBucks. Transcripts are not sent until payment is received. For students on Free/Reduced Lunch a waiver may be granted for an additional 3 free transcripts. Ask your counselor for more information.
What we include with each transcript packet:
- The official transcript, through the end of junior year, with updated GPA and senior classes printed on the transcript.
- The counselor recommendation (if requested). Recommendation packets must be turned in to your counselors by their deadline.
- The Secondary School Report. HHS uses a generic one accepted by schools. Do not bring in one provided by colleges.
- The school profile which describes Herndon High School and our school system (FCPS)
School documents are finalized after the second week of school. To ensure nothing is omitted from your application, we will not process requests over the summer.
What we do NOT include with the transcript packet:
- SAT, ACT, TOEFL scores
- Teacher recommendations
- Any student applications related documents
Other things to know:
Students, make sure you know your counselor's policy regarding transcript requests. Students are responsible for notifying the counselor when they wish each transcript packet to be sent. Communication is imperative! Each counselor is assisting 50 or more seniors in this process and each may have their own deadline. The student must inform the counselor in person that he/she is ready for the packet to be sent.
Self Report Schools Many schools are going to a system whereby students self report their grades. These schools need to be added to the goldenrod, and fees paid. Many schools require the SSR, a school profile, your counselor's recommendation, or other documents. Not to mention, you may want them to receive a final transcript.
Scholarship transcripts are free. 2 weeks is required to process official transcripts for scholarships. To request an unofficial transcript use your fcpsschools.net email to contact the transcript office. Unofficial transcripts will only be sent to your fcpsschools.net email. Scholarship transcripts will only be mailed to scholarships vetted by fcps and listed in Naviance. All others must receive a hard copy.
7th semester transcripts are required by colleges so that they can evaluate a student's grades midway through Senior year. This transcript includes your senior year semester grades and a recalculated cumulative GPA (weighted). Quarter grades are not included. The 7th semester transcript is automatically sent to each college to which initial materials have been sent. The student does not need to prompt the counselor to send this transcript and the student does not need to submit any report forms that the college may have provided (we do not send them). Students should contact their counselor if they would like a copy. Keep in mind that these transcripts will not be reprinted or resent for late grade changes that reflect a change in GPA.
A Final Transcript will be sent to the college the student has decided to attend and identified when completing Senior Survey in May. Students may select one additional school where a decision may be pending (i.e., a student is active on a wait list). NCAA will receive a transcript if it is selected to receive one on Senior Survey.